The completed application and all required materials must be submitted together.
Incomplete applications will not be processed. Decisions are rendered within one week of receipt.
No application fee required.
The following items should be compiled in electronic form before preceeding:
Two letters endorsing the chapter’s reactivation from:
1) an appropriate administrative official (president, vice-president, dean);
2) the chairperson of the language department IF the petitioner is NOT the department head/chair.
Honorary Members: Persons who are obviously interested in and supportive of things Hispanic may be nominated for Honorary Membership. College Spanish teaching staff and other faculty members or administrative officials who are notably devoted to the goals and ideals of Sigma Delta Pi and who have supported the work of the Spanish program and/or the Sigma Delta Pi chapter are generally initiated as Honorary Members. Eminently successful high-school teachers of Spanish may also be granted Honorary Membership. This category is not open to students, graduate or undergraduate. If you wish to propose honorary members, you must include each candidate's name and respective qualifications. Résumés are not required. The one-time membership fee must be paid for each accepted Honorary Member if this petition is approved. The fee is waived for a proposed faculty adviser who is not already a member of Sigma Delta Pi.
Active Members: Include the names of ALL students of Spanish proposed as active members (at least three qualifying members are required to reactivate a chapter).
Transcripts: Upload a single document that includes scanned/electronic copies (unofficial are acceptable) of the current academic transcripts (reflecting final grades from the most recent term/semester completed) for each proposed active student member. Each transcript MUST confirm that each of the proposed students meets the following academic requirements (DO NOT order membership materials until petition is approved):
- Completion of at least three years (18 semester hours) of college-level Spanish or the equivalent, including at least three semester hours of a third-year Hispanic Literature or Hispanic Culture and Civilization course. You may count current enrollment if necessary.
- Grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all college-level Spanish courses taken;
- Class rank in the upper 35% of his/her class—sophomore, junior, or senior; for institutions that do not record class rank, a minimum 3.2 cumulative grade point average is the criterion;
- Completion of at least three semesters or five quarters of the college course.
After the first initiation, the faculty adviser will not need to submit credentials on initiates to the national office but will, of course, ensure that all requirements are met and that Sigma Delta Pi's standards are maintained.
Please e-mail related questions to Mark P. Del Mastro, Executive Director: SDPNational@gmail.com
Creating an account using the log in below allows applicants to save their progress and return if completing the application in one sitting is not possible. This is recommended but not required.