Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, is pleased to announce the following 14 awards for its Undergraduate Study Abroad Scholarship Program in 2021:
1) One (1) scholarship for study in San José, Costa Rica at the Universidad Veritas. Courtesy of the Universidad Veritas, this award includes tuition for one Spanish language course in the morning, free access to the university’s labs, Wi-Fi, library, student shuttle service and extracurricular activities for four weeks of study during the summer of 2021. The Universidad Veritas winners must pay all personal expenses and the costs of registration ($195), homestay fees with half pension (breakfast and dinner), laundry, course materials (books), airport pickup and drop-off, additional medical insurance if desired, and excursions while with the program. Click here for specific fees. Sigma Delta Pi will provide to the scholarship winner a stipend of $1000 that may be used toward travel to Costa Rica. This scholarship is appropriate for all levels of Spanish.
2) Three (3) scholarships for study in Alcalá de Henares, Spain at the Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá de Henares (UAH). Courtesy of the Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá de Henares, these awards include free registration, tuition, UAH credits, and access to all university services and Spanish tutorials for four weeks of study in July 2021. UAH winners must pay the cost of room (lodging with families or university dorm), meals, medical insurance (optional), airport transportation and cultural activities (required) while in Spain. Sigma Delta Pi will provide to each of the scholarship winners a stipend of $1500 that may be used toward travel to Spain. These scholarships are appropriate for applicants of all levels of Spanish. Click here for available courses.
3) Ten (10) stipends of $2500 each for study abroad with a program in a Spanish-speaking country for the summer of 2021 or during the 2021-22 academic year (4-week minimum). Programs that begin before summer 2021 are ineligible. The applicant chooses the study abroad program, which must be approved by the college or university (for course transfer credit) of the applicant’s chapter of Sigma Delta Pi. The stipend may NOT be combined with one of the aforementioned scholarships to Spain and Costa Rica; i.e., an applicant may only apply for either a scholarship or a stipend, but not both. Internships will ONLY be funded if framed within an academic, credit-bearing course; evidence for which the applicant must provide with this application.
SIGMA DELTA PI is grateful to the Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá de Henares and Universidad Veritas for their generosity in providing support for these study abroad awards.
SIGMA DELTA PI reserves the right to suspend and/or cancel this awards program at any time due to circumstances related to COVID-19. Applicants and participants will be informed of any such developments once such decisions have been made.
RULES GOVERNING THE UNDERGRADUATE STUDY ABROAD AWARDS COMPETITION
CRITERIA. To be eligible to receive one of the awards listed above, an undergraduate student MUST meet the following minimal requirements:
(1) be a Spanish major or minor;
(2) be of at least junior standing;
(3) be an active (elected) member of Sigma Delta Pi;
(4) have a superior academic record;
(5) be enrolled on February 1, 2021 as a full-time undergraduate student;
(6) have earned grades in at least 12 semester or 18 quarter hours of Spanish courses;
(7) be nominated in writing by the chapter adviser(s);
(8) complete this online application form and include all required documentation. (Consult with local Faculty Adviser for guidance)
Additional rules and conditions:
- Graduate students are ineligible.
- Applicants whose transcripts do NOT meet the national requirements for membership will automatically be disqualified.
- Internships will not be funded unless framed within an academic, credit-bearing course.
- Undergraduate students with financial aid in the form of a scholarship to cover the study abroad experience in question are NOT eligible for these awards.
- Undergraduate students with financial aid in the form of a loan may apply for these awards if the applicant submits verification that the loan would be reduced by the amount granted by the Sigma Delta Pi award stipend.
- Previous winners, whether they accepted or declined a scholarship or stipend, may not apply.
The award stipends are for students who will use all the Sigma Delta Pi funds received to cover expenses directly related to the study abroad experience: tuition, room and board, and plane flight. These Sigma Delta Pi study abroad awards are NOT for spending money while abroad, or for other purposes.
CHOICE OF Costa Rica or Spain, summer 2021. Undergraduate Scholarship applicants must indicate their choice to study either in Costa Rica or Spain (July 2021 only).
OFFICIAL APPLICATION FORM. Applicants must use this online application form. The faculty adviser of chapters with more than one applicant must complete the online Ranking Form.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS. Complete applications must be submitted online no later than MIDNIGHT (EST) February 1, 2021. Incomplete applications and those submitted after this date will not be considered.
JUDGING APPLICATIONS. Two sub-committees (one for the Costa Rica and Spain scholarships; one for the stipends) of three judges each will be appointed by Professor Shelby Thacker, Committee Chair of the Sigma Delta Pi Undergraduate Summer Scholarship Competition for the 2021-22 academic year. Working independently and with a given set of criteria, the judges will select the winners. Their decision will be final.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF AWARDS. Winners will be notified around April 1, 2021.
USE OF SCHOLARSHIPS AND STIPENDS. Sigma Delta Pi scholarships MUST be used solely for the purposes stated above, i.e. for summer 2021 study in Costa Rica or Spain. The $2500 stipends must be used solely for the program and terms described in the accepted application, and only during the summer of 2021 or the 2021-22 academic year. These awards may not be used for research purposes, but they may be used for internships only if framed within an academic, credit-bearing course. The scholarships to Costa Rica and Spain may not be used to participate in established college or university-sponsored/directed study abroad programs; however, the $2500 stipends may be used for such programs. Permission will not be made to alter any of these stipulations. Possible transfer credit must be coordinated with the student’s college or university, not with Sigma Delta Pi. Ineligible are applications that propose to use the $2500 stipend for study in a country that classified as Level 4 by the U.S. State Department of State; Level 3 may be permitted depending upon the warnings issued for the specific region/city proposed. These levels must be addressed in the applicant’s personal statement. Also ineligible are applications that propose a country that is NOT permitted by the applicant’s home institution; applicants should consult with their institution’s study abroad office, or the equivalent, to determine which countries are restricted from institutionally-endorsed/approved travel. Confirmation for the latter must be provided in the applicant’s personal statement.
If the program proposed for a $2500 stipend is cancelled for any reason, the award will automatically be null and void as well and may NOT be applied to any other program.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF WINNERS. Each student who accepts a Sigma Delta Pi Undergraduate Study Abroad Award MUST commit to consistent class attendance and participation during the period studying abroad as afforded by this awards program.
Within two weeks of their return from studying abroad, each scholarship and stipend winner must submit via the online form (click here for submission guidelines) a passport-type photograph (.jpg or .gif file) and an essay (Word format) of approximately 200 words in Spanish describing the experience of studying abroad. An awardee who fails to provide the photograph and essay by the aforementioned deadline will forfeit half of his/her stipend.
Awardees unable to undertake the study abroad provided by the scholarship or stipend must inform the National Office immediately and will return any funding received from Sigma Delta Pi. If the awardees fail to inform the National Office by May 15, 2021 and in sufficient time to award their scholarship or stipend to another student, understanding that arrangements have already been made for funding their study abroad, they will be required to reimburse Sigma Delta Pi for the cost of their award.
If the Chair of the Undergraduate Summer Scholarship Competition and/or a judging committee member is also a chapter adviser, then their chapter is eligible for no more than one (1) undergraduate summer scholarship or stipend. An exception may be made if 1) the number of applicants is less than the number of available awards and/or 2) the President, in consultation with the Executive Director, concludes that the quality of the applicant pool is deficient.
THE COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM AND ALL RELATED MATERIALS
MUST BE SUBMITTED TOGETHER
OR THEY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.