BASCA is delighted to once again be working with the BBC Singers to present a concert of works by contemporary European composers. This year the theme of the concert is The Refugee Experience. The concert will be on Friday 21st September at a venue in London with the BBC Singers conducted by James Morgan. The concert will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
The call is Europe-wide and designed to be as broad as possible, so the subject of works might extend to historical instances. (The children of the Kindertransport might be a good example). BASCA is also interested in receiving scores from composers (and writers) who have familiarity with the refugee experience in the widest sense, whether through direct contact, family history or because they are refugees themselves.
This will be the fourth time that BASCA has collaborated with the BBC Singers on a special concert based on music drawn from composers all over Europe. The previous concerts have given an opportunity for composers new to UK audiences to have their voices heard and introduced new and exciting choral music from a wide range of European countries such as Ireland, Slovenia, Norway etc. UK composers are also well represented. This year’s call seeks to widen the opportunities for choral composers with a theme that is relevant both historically and in the present. There is hardly a European country that has not been touched by the refugee experience and we are hoping for an eloquent articulation in music of the many pressing issues involved.
Guidelines for the call:
- This call is open to BASCA Standard and Professional members within the UK, and also composers outside the UK who are resident in Europe.
- Works selected for this call will be presented at a concert given by the BBC Singers conducted by James Morgan on Friday 21st September.
- The maximum duration of works is 10 minutes.
- Pieces may use any text, but copyright texts must be cleared for setting; this is the responsibility of the composer.
- Pieces should be for unaccompanied choir. It may be written for any combination of SATB (including men-only and women-only pieces). The BBC Singers' usual 18 voice division is 188.8.131.52.
- Use of a common European language is helpful.
- Scores must be submitted in PDF format. If a recording is provided it must be in mp3 format. No other formats will be considered.
- Please provide scores in portrait format with a piano reduction.
- The score should contain a separate page containing the text.
- Applications will be made online.
- To apply, please complete the form below by 23:59 on Sunday 8th July 2018.
Additional guidelines for applications from outside the UK:
- This call is open to composers resident in Europe. Within the UK composers must be Standard or Professional members of BASCA.
- If the work is unpublished, the composer must give permission for the BBC Singers to make copies for performance use. If the work is published, it is the responsibility of the composer organisation within the composer’s country to cover costs associated with hire or purchase of scores for performance.
- As with all performances of contemporary music, performance royalties for the concert and subsequent broadcast will be collected via PRS for music and paid via the composer’s collection society.
- We would like composers to attend the concert if possible but BASCA cannot provide travel expenses; composers should approach either their composer organisation or other sources of funding for expenses to travel to the UK to attend the concert.
If you have any questions regarding the call, please email Natalie Bleicher Natalie@basca.org.uk